Family Dental in Colorado Springs: Home Care
Here at Couchman Dental, we make creating a healthy, beautiful smile for our patients the ultimate goal. But when it comes to achieving that goal, your personal home care plays a vital role. We encourage you to start taking better care of your smile by reducing the number of snacks you eat, eating wellbalanced meals, and using various dental aids that will work to prevent the build-up of bacteria and plaque.
We recommend that you take the following tips into consideration as you prepare for your family dental in Colorado Springs
Tooth Brushing. It is important that you brush your teeth a minimum of two times a day with an ADA approved toothbrush and toothpaste.
• Take care to brush your tongue to freshen your breath and remove bacteria.
• Clean the inside of your front teeth with the tip of the brush.
• Take care to clean all surfaces of each tooth—including the biting, inner, and outer surfaces.
• Place the brush at a 45 degree angle to the teeth and gums and carefully brush teeth in a circular motion.
It is also acceptable to use an electronic toothbrush—which can be extremely effective in removing plaque. Simply place the bristles of the brush on your gums and teeth and allow the brush to do its job.
Flossing. You need to regularly clean under the gum line and between the teeth, and flossing is an efficient procedure. In fact, flossing does more than help to clean those hard-to-reach spaces, it prevents damage to the bone, teeth, and gums by disrupting any plaque colonies from building up.
• Take between twelve and sixteen inches of approved dental floss and wrap it around the middle fingers of each hand, leaving about two inches of floss in between the hands.
• Gently insert the floss into the spaces between the teeth, using your forefingers and thumbs to guide the floss in a sawing motion.
• Gently move the floss up and down the side of the tooth by curving the floss into a “C” shape.
If you have a difficult time using conventional floss for family dental in Colorado Springs, we recommend that you purchase floss holders.
Rinsing. After eating a meal or brushing, it is important to use water as a mouth rinse. This will serve to remove food, bacteria, and plaque build-up. If you are currently using an over-the-counter rinsing product, we recommend that you speak with your dental hygienist or dentist to ensure that it is the appropriate product for your needs.
There are a variety of other dental aids that are available for you to use for your family dental in Colorado Springs, and you should use them as recommended by your dental hygienist or dentist. These aids include: medicated rinses, fluoride, irrigation devices, tongue cleaners, rubber tip stimulators, interdental brushes, etc.